This is a berry lover’s favorite – a recipe I adapted from the Joy of Cooking.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup Nana’s All Natural Granola – Berry Luscious
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup half and half OR buttermilk
- ½ cup fresh or frozen berries
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Sift together into a large bowl: whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and ground flax seed (optional).
- Cut in cold unsalted butter, using a pastry blender or 2 knives, until the size of small peas.
- Stir in: Nana’s BerryLuscious Granola, fresh or frozen and the half and half or buttermilk. Mix with spatula until moistened.Knead against sides and bottom of bowl. Drop the batter in mounds onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with: sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 to 12 scones.